HTC Executive Meeting Minutes

July 8th, 2014


The Huntsville Track Club held an executive board meeting on July 8th, 2014 at El Olmeca.  The meeting was called to order by President Eric Fritz at 6:30 pm.

Board Members Present:  Eric Fritz (President), Alex Clark (VP – Races and Equipment), Regena Moore (Secretary), Kathy Youngren (Treasurer), Harold Tinsley (Appointed Member – Past Board Member), Dink Taylor (Appointed Member – Cotton Row Director), Suzanne Taylor (Appointed Member – Rocket City Marathon Director). Also in attendance Gregg Gelmis – We Run Huntsville and Jim Oaks. 

Board Members Absent: Karen Gelmis (VP – Programs), DeWayne Satterfield (VP – Communications)


> WE RUN HUNTSVILLE – GREGG GELMIS - “What I’m doing and where I’m headed.” There was a general discussion of We Run HSV and Gregg’s photography and how we can work together on future HTC events. Gregg is asking HTC to allow him to shoot HTC events and wants HTC to promote his work. He is no longer charging Race Directors but is charging the participant a nominal fee for pictures purchased through SmugMug online. He stated that it requires 6-8 hours for him to shoot and produce his images which is time away from his family and causes wear and tear on his expensive camera equipment. He would like to be compensated for his work and dedication to the community. In return, Gregg will be the “welcoming” committee for any new runners and encourage them to join HTC. The Board’s primary concerns are 1) Liability 2) Competition Among Professional Photographers, as Gregg isn’t incorporated and currently carries no insurance. The Board recommended Gregg become incorporated, purchase insurance and treat his hobby like a business.   It was also mentioned that some of the We Run HSV Group Leads have approached HTC regarding concerns of liability.



Jim Oaks and Carl Smith provide timing services for several HTC events and other local races. They submitted a proposal for use of HTC equipment for non-HTC events. There is an immediate need for timing of the Southern Region Cross Country Meet which takes place on November 22nd, 2014.  In preparation for that meet, they would like to use the equipment, at no cost, to practice at the UAH XC Invitational on September 13th, 2014. The Board voted and approved the use of the HTC Timing Equipment “practice run” at the UAH event at no cost. The Board will review the proposal and fees listed to determine adequate charges for equipment rental for the Southern Region Cross Country Meet and other non-HTC events.



Income for 2014 = $35,483.53



The City of HSV Police are still having issues with the new proposed course. The course has yet to be approved and/or certified. There are currently 845 participants registered. The EXPO will be a big ordeal and will require a lot of work and volunteers. It will take place at the Von Braun Center South Hall.



Eric and Karen met with Kent Wilborn at the State Park and discussed how the HTC can better work with the park.   Kent indicated they mainly need volunteers to help with trail maintenance and assorted projects.  The upcoming meeting was discussed as a great way to share this with the rest of the club.  Our annual events were also discussed and it was agreed that our events should be booked one year in advance on the date they will be run the following year.



A conflict with the Monte Sano 15K race and a SORBA event was discussed.  The conflict was resolved by agreeing to move our start time up ˝ hour earlier to 7:30AM.



Eric had a meeting with Steve Ivey (Parks and Rec) and Ralph Stone (Sports Commission) on the plan for John Hunt Park.   The city has had to delay the updates planned for the park due to finances, however they are looking to do some minor updates including the removal of the chain link fence around the golf course.  They have requested the HTC to come up with some ideas on how the Cross Country Course could be modified to take better advantage of the proposed changes.  Eric will work with the city to provide some ideas.

Next General Membership Meeting – August 12th, 2014 – Monte Sano Lodge – Guest Speakers from Monte Sano, Land Trust, SORBA, and Friends of Monte Sano. They will discuss how we all can work together on improving and maintaining the trails.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 pm. Submitted by: Regena Moore 7/9/14