HTC Executive Board Meeting - 28 February 2005

Board Members Present:  David Purinton (President), Harold Tinsley (VP-Communications), Anne Park (Secretary), Jim Oaks (Appointed Member—Cotton Row Director), Dick Franklin (VP-Races & Equipment), Suzanne Taylor (Appointed Member—Rocket City Marathon Director), Craig Armstrong (Appointed Member—Past Officer), Kathy Youngren (Treasurer).    


Board Members Absent: Ashley Cain (VP-Programs)


Also present was Louise Tinsley, Huntsville Track Club Member.


The meeting was held in the conference room at Southwood Presbyterian Church, Huntsville, Alabama, and began at 6:45 p.m.  It was briefly discussed and agreed upon that Wendi Pollard and her husband Scott should be listed as co-directors of the Winter Winds Races.


The next item up for discussion was whether the waiving of race fees for race directors and executive board members should be extended to include spouses only or also dependent children.  After some discussion it was agreed that this waiver should be extended to both spouses and dependent children because we are not aiming to make a profit from races and we want to encourage families to participate, and in appreciation of the work done by race directors and board members.  Jim then moved, and Dick seconded that we change the existing policy on waiver of race and membership fees to include spouses and dependent children, and that this waiver would become effective the first day of the following year that the person assumes the position of race director or board member and would apply to pre-registration only.  The motion passed.  Because there is the possibility that this change in policy could cause a considerable decrease in revenues brought in by a smaller HTC race, it was agreed that it should be pointed out to Race Directors that we are not primarily concerned with making a profit on our races. 


David then read a letter received from the RRCA regarding the Roads Scholar grant given to upcoming, post-collegiate runners to assist them with their expenses.  The board was in unanimous agreement that we should continue to contribute to this program.  Craig proposed and Jim seconded that we continue our participation in this program by sending $500 to the Roads Scholar program as we have in past years.  The motion carried.


David stated that the HTC had received $5000 from the Huntsville Hospital Foundation for the club's support with the Liz Hurley Ribbon Run. Board members agreed that the financial status of the HTC made it possible to return a portion of the $5000 to the Liz Hurley Cancer Fund. After some discussion of the appropriate amount, David moved and Harold seconded that we return $2500 to the Fund. The motion passed unanimously. 


Harold inquired as to whether the club had ever reimbursed John DeHaye for costs incurred during certification of club race courses.  He stated that most certifiers charged a fee and course measurers charge for that service.  Harold noted that course certification is not an internal club function, but a program administered by the RRTC of USATF, somewhat similar to obtaining sanctions.  Suzanne agreed to find out what those fees would typically be.  With that information the board will decide on an honorarium as a way to express the club's appreciation for John's services over so many years. 


Harold gave a report to the board regarding the progress of the reorganization of the RRCA.  They have definitely decided to resume publication of "Footnotes".  The RRCA is experiencing a few understandable problems due to expectations having been so high at the same time that many of the people involved are inexperienced and don't yet have the staff to accomplish goals.  But finances are being handled with discretion and the entire organization is moving in the right direction.  The RRCA Convention will be held on May 13-15, 2005, in New Orleans, and David has agreed to attend.  It was suggested that we find other HTC members to attend who perhaps haven't attended this convention in the past in order to expand our members' involvement.  The HTC Handbook states that we will pay the registration fee for any race director whose race has at least 250 runners participating, and they would pay their own travel expenses.  The deadline for registration is sometime around the beginning of April, and it was suggested that we talk with race directors, after which the Board can vote for approval of registration fees for those agreeing to attend.


Jim gave an update on the progress of the Cotton Row Run preparations.  Amby Burfoot, long time editor of Runner’s World magazine, will be the speaker for the Cotton Row festivities.  He will be flying in to Nashville and we will pick him up there, and on Friday night we will host a dinner for Board Members and spouses.  There were several suggestions as to the location, and a final decision will be made later.  Then on Saturday night we will have a spaghetti dinner at the Hilton at a price of $9 for HTC Members and Amby will be speaking on his experiences in running throughout the years.  Then on Sunday at 6:00 p.m. we will have chairs set up at the Expo and Amby will give a presentation on "Ten Ways to Blow Your Race Tomorrow."  Different aspects of the race were discussed including prize money and finances, and it was suggested that we shift excess CRR money into an account which would accrue more interest.  Jim also asked that we consider finding someone who would be able to direct the race if anything happened to him requiring someone to step in on race day.  Different names were discussed with the aim of finding someone who would be willing to take that role.  Jim also said that he would like to get more than a one-year commitment from Mercedes.


Jim distributed an up-to-date rendering of CRR finances and this led to a discussion of the general accounts that the HTC has for several different races.  Craig questioned why we have so many accounts at different banks and there was a discussion involving why all our accounts are being handled as they are.  It was pointed out that the Treasurer should have access to all HTC accounts with different banks and should be a co-signer on all accounts.  Harold pointed out that some of the race directors are not submitting detailed financial records of their races despite the fact that David previously provided them with a convenient printout for that purpose, and David agreed to contact the race directors and remind them of the need of this information.


The next item of discussion was the 2005 marathon.  Suzanne has not yet received financial information regarding the 2004 marathon and expressed her need of this information in order to begin to understand the finances involved and begin to budget the upcoming marathon.  It was agreed that David would contact Malcolm and ask that the account be transferred to Suzanne along with information regarding unpaid bills.  Suzanne will then begin preparing for the 2005 race while finishing up payment of left-over 2004 expenses.  Suzanne encouraged the Board to continue to attend the marathon workers' meetings and Jim requested the same for the Cotton Row Run meetings.  The marathon web site is now up and the Board was encouraged to check it out.


The next item was the status of possible sponsorship for the marathon.  Suzanne mentioned several companies who are still sponsor possibilities, and she has several proposals out there being considered.  Entry fees were also discussed, and having come to an agreement, Suzanne moved that we set the fees at $40-$50-$60 with a fee of $75 for the night before.  Craig seconded the motion and the motion passed.  There has been an anonymous sponsor who will carry the cost of chip timing and that led to a discussion of where the mats would be placed and it was pointed out that although the most obvious advantage of chip timing is perceived value, it would also eliminate the problem of people starting the race early and will cut down on the number of bandits.  Craig also mentioned that we should be aware of and look into any new technology that we could use to enhance our race.  He also mentioned that having a "wall" of one kind or another at the twenty-mile point would add enjoyment to our race.  Suzanne mentioned that she plans to have the usual marathon t-shirt and also a tech shirt to be given out to all finishers.  She is also working on improvements in the registration form and will bring a revised form to the board when completed.


There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 8:50 p.m.