Minutes of 12 Feb 2002 HTC Executive Board Meeting
Board Members Present: David
Purinton (President), David Cain (VP-Programs), Harold Tinsley
(VP-Communications), Clare Purinton (Secretary), Jim
Oaks (Appointed member – Cotton Row Director), and Malcolm Gillis (Appointed
Member – Marathon Director).
Guests Present: William Alvarez
(Redstone Arsenal Race Director), Janet Duncan and Louise Tinsley.
Purinton commenced the meeting at 6:40
Duncan presented a proposal for a new HTC event to be held at the
Huntsville Botanical Gardens in conjunction with the Galaxy of Lights in
late November. Via email with David
and a meeting with the Garden she had a number of details well thought out
and planned. Some questions were
brought forth by the board as to certification and race distance. It was decided that a 5K event would
have more appeal to runners than something shorter. David took and action item to contact
John Dehaye with course certification
questions. A vote was taken to
approve this event and was unanimously passed. Janet Duncan will serve as race director
for this new event.
Alvarez brought forth concerns about the 2002 Rocket Runs. There are some valid safety issues with
the new course beginning and finishing at Williams Elementary School. A number of the roads for this new
course would be in the county and all attempts so far to get information
from the country on requirements and/or support have
been unsuccessful. Sergeant Jim
Smith with the HPD told David that the HPD could only provide course
control for streets within the city limits. Because the roads in the county,
although marked for low speed limits are often driven at speeds greatly in
excess of the posted limit it was deemed too dangerous to hold the event
given the lack of course control in the county. David gave information on the 3D Duathalon’s experience of no support from the county
for their event. Given the late
date and lack of time to promote the event it was decided that it would be
best this year to cancel the Rocket Runs.
A course that is safe and controllable will be found for next year’s
event and the Rocket Runs will return.
This decision was unanimous by the board.
gave an update that all event permits for HTC races have been filed with
the city. Also, the pavilion and
other required facilities within Monte Sano State Park have also been reserved.
was decided that the club has sufficient funds to send the President to
the RRCA National Convention in Norfolk, VA. As David is able to attend he will
represent the club at this years convention.
was proposed that the HTC pay for Clare Purinton’s
RRCA convention costs to attend the seminars. Since she attends the convention with
David but often attends different seminars in order to gather more
information for the club it was decided that the club would help defray
the convention seminar costs only.
The board passed this unanimously.
HTC had received a question from Don Kardong as
to what the HTC policy is on giving/selling its membership address and
email lists. It has been and continues
to be club policy (in practice) that the membership and email lists are
NOT sold to parties outside the club.
These lists are used solely by the club for the purpose of
information dissemination. The club
will sell for a one-time use preprinted mailing labels. These labels have only US postal
addresses and no electronic mail information. Also, sponsors are not given access to
club email addresses. Any
organization to which labels are sold will be deemed relevant and
appropriate to the club membership.
All board members present officially approved this policy.
proposed change to the schedule of HTC general meetings was
discussed. Given the very low
turnout at general meetings a proposal was made to move away from the
current every other month schedule of meetings and move to a quarterly
schedule. An effort would be made
to bring in a “big name” speaker to attract more members to meetings. Cancellation of the HTC picnic was also
discussed, again due to very low member turnout. It was decided that for this year the
HTC would stick with the current meeting schedule as printed in club
publications and on the web site but that a change to a reduced meeting
schedule would be examined later in the year. It was decided to cancel the picnic
indefinitely beginning with this year.
This was approved unanimously.
suggestion had been made to David that the club look
into possibly sharing the cost of a ChampionChip
Timing System with another club on the Running Journal Grand Prix. Although a cost savings would be
realized, it was felt that such an arrangement could preclude us from
using the system at other HTC events due to scheduling conflicts. Other issues would be transport of the
system between two sites, upkeep/storage of the equipment, and ownership
issues. It was felt that when the
HTC decides to purchase a ChampionChip System
that it would be better for us maintain complete ownership.
informed the club that Triptych Design in Birmingham had contacted him. This company was offering to design a
turnkey web page for our races or our club web page. The board members had been given notice
before the meeting of this proposal and were given the opportunity to
check out the Mercedes Marathon site done by Triptych. It was remarked that the site did have
nice graphics but that our site actually provides more information to
runners. It was remarked that our
club web site provides more information to club members than many other
club web sites. A decision was made
not to pursue this offer.
asked the board their opinion on posting HTC Executive Board meeting dates
on the web site. David’s motivator
was to open the meetings to any club member, something they have always
been. Although notices have been
given in the past members have not typically attended board meetings. It was thought that this was worth
trying as long as members were required to give notice so that a proper
location could be reserved to accommodate all wishing to attend as well as
Oaks suggested having a race directors meeting. This was thought by all to be a good
idea, both as a way of rewarding those members who keep our races running
and as a way to disseminate and exchange information. A date in March will be sought to hold
Oaks gave a detailed update on Cotton Row Run. Everything is going to schedule and
there have been no stumbling blocks so far, even given the changes taking
place for this year’s event.
- Jim presented a list of various
computer costs he has paid out over the past few years obtaining equipment
for the HTC. It was felt that since
this equipment was used for HTC events that Jim should receive
reimbursement for the costs. He
took an action item to compile a list of equipment and costs and submit it
to the Treasurer for reimbursement.
gave the board some feedback he had received on the marathon. This feedback was very good. A suggestion was made to eliminate the
painters cap and use the money to obtain Mylar blankets for runners at the
end of the marathon in need to them.
A suggestion had also been made to obtain a better quality shirt,
although the graphic design of this year’s shirt did elicit
commendations. Another suggestion
was the elimination of prize money.
Gillis proposed a new prize money structure for the marathon. Malcolm wanted to find a structure that
would promote/reward more American, and possibly Southeast runners to
compete at Rocket City. The proposed structure would also
eliminate the double dipping of master’s runners, winning prize money in
both the open and master’s categories.
In comparing the old structure with the proposed, it was seen that
the old structure gave $10000 to non-citizen athletes and $12000 to
citizens. In comparison the
proposed structure would give only $4000 to non-citizens and $16000 to
citizens. It was thought that if
more prize money is given to citizens that the marathon gets more of a
return on the prize money. A number
of points were brought up on both sides of the issue as well as
discontinuing prize money altogether.
A decision on this was postponed to a later date.
brought up concerns about the Children’s Marathon held in conjunction with the
Rocket City Marathon the past two years.
A number of difficulties with the program were discussed. One was the time of year and
unpredictability of the weather.
This can be a large factor in attendance at a children’s
event. Also, it is difficult to get
the information out to all the schools early enough for the children to
complete the 25 prerequisite miles.
Other concerns voiced are already crowded parking areas and the low
day of race turn out of schools with high pre-raceday
program participation. It was
decided that although this is a great program in theory, at Rocket City in practice it has a number of
obstacles to overcome. David
suggested asking if the Huntsville Times would rather try and
resurrect the Spring Fever Runs. It
was felt that this program would better serve the children, given the
large turn out at Autumn Chase. Jim
took and action item to draft a letter to the Huntsville Times
discussing just such a proposal.
discussed changes in the marathon contract with the Hilton. The Hilton wants to require a 2 night
minimum stay for marathon participants.
issues associated with having a wheelchair athlete at Rocket City were discussed. This past year a request was made by an
athlete to compete in a wheelchair.
Given the late date of his request his participation was
discouraged, as it was too late to be able to take proper safety measures
for both his and other athlete’s safety.
It was noted that the City of Huntsville has said that we must allow
wheelchair athletes to compete or they will rescind their support of the
race. The issue of the tunnel at
Whitesburg and the parking lot at Lily Flagg
pool were major safety concerns.
Harold felt that the current course is just not safe for wheelchair
participation. This topic was to be
further discussed at a later date.
asked the board if it was in the best interest of the club to continue the
marathon. He asked this given the
fact that each year the numbers of volunteers for the race drops. This year some committees had less than
what they consider the minimum number of volunteers required to perform their race task. There are also a number of huge
logistical issues with the race, including the traffic situation on Bailey Cove Road, Airport Road, and a number of other major
road crossings. The difficulty in
finding race directors was also discussed.
The simple truth is that the club will not be able to continue to
offer the programs and races it has in the past with out continued support
from the membership.
the attendees were polled for any further issues and none being found the
meeting was adjourned at 10:10PM.