HTC Executive Board Meeting
28 August 2012
Board Members Present: Eric Fritz (President), Harold Tinsley (VP – Communications), Brandi Hough (VP – Programs), Dink Taylor (VP – Races & Equipment), Joey Butler (Secretary), Kathy Youngren (Treasurer), Jim Oaks (Appointed Member – Past Board Member) and Suzanne Taylor (Appointed Member – Co- Rocket City Marathon Director).
The Huntsville Track Club held an executive board meeting on Tuesday August 28, 2012 at Mellow Mushroom. Eric opened the meeting at 7:00 pm. The following topics were discussed:
1. Marathon Update – The board agreed to increase registration to 1700 entries up from 1500. This is based on average finish rates closer to 1200. Even with increased entries, the number of finishers should still stay below 1500 which is the maximum size listed on the permit with the city.
Dink announced that Bill Rodgers would be the guest speaker this year.
After 2012, finish area will need to be modified due to road changes downtown. Board will look into this in early 2013.
Eric received 2 inquiries about wheelchair racers for the marathon. The board discussed the logistics of these requests. Eric was to reply to these participants to discuss further. Eric, Dink, and Suzanne will also work with HPD to discuss logistics.
2. Other races
Half Marathon – Eric will check with Marty and Carol to see if a paper entry will be available. If so, when will it be available?
Autumn Chase – Race numbers have been ordered for all participants
Recover From the Holidays – Christy inquired about adding a 5K or 10K. The board discussed and decided to stay as just a 50K race. Christy also requested to increase entry fee and add a t-shirt. The board decided not to increase the fee but did allow an option to purchase a race shirt at time of entry.
3. Belk department store inquired about having HTC set up a booth at their store during a fitness event. The board opted not to pursue this due to short notice.
4. Website – Eric proposed to setup a committee to discuss the future direction of the HTC website. Names were suggested to Eric and he will work to get this committee started.
5. Road Race Management Meeting – The board agreed to send Dink to this meeting per HTC policy 3.6.2. In addition, the board agreed to pay the annual membership fees for Marty Eaton and Courtney McCool per their request..
6. HTC Policy Concerning Race Fees for Race Directors - There has been confusion over this issue. The board agreed to reword the policy to clearly state that race directors get free races starting the day after they direct their first race and continuing until the day before the 1st anniversary of the last race they direct.
7. High School Cross Country Awards – The board discussed whether to keep having these awards for the top male and female HTC members. Eric will discuss further with Marty Clarke and Craig Armstrong – both are coaches at local schools.
8. Scholarship Recipients – the board discussed should it be required that future scholarship recipients provide a review of their season in the Dec/Jan timeframe? Should they give a report at the annual meeting in January? No decision was finalized.
9. Race Director’s Meeting – Eric would like to have a race director’s meeting to discuss various issues including consistency among races to make things easier for all, online registration, templates for paper registration, prize money sanctions, permits, insurance, etc… They also need to be aware that they can put an ad in the HTC newsletter for free. Eric will work with Brandi to schedule a time and place for this meeting.
With no other business, the meeting adjourned at 8:55.